Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Cooking Under Way

This is the beginning of the craziest week of the year for Deb's Delectable Edibles. I make gourmet gift baskets for corporate clients throughout the year, but Christmas is definitely the busiest. Yesterday I completed my shopping for just the perfect packaging (this year it will be a towering delight!) and then I headed off to purchase all of the ingredients for my delicious creations. Suffice it to say...my pantry, counters and tables runneth over! Today I got a head start on my week of baking and candy making and whipped out Texaslicious Pecan Pralines, Double Dipped Peanut Butter Balls, and a big ol' batch of chocolatey Fudge loaded with pecans. Oh what fun, I'm so excited! I'll be posting pics throughout the week as my project comes together.

After a long day of candy making and Christmas card writing, I thought a comfort food dinner was in order and the hubby asked for my Meatball and Potato Dinner. This recipe is one that I remember my mom making through the years, only I have adapted it to be gluten-free and it utilizes ground turkey in place of hamburger. I hope you will try this one, it is so wonderful and is great reheated.

MEATBALL & POTATO DINNER

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb. Ground Turkey Breast
1 finely chopped medium onion
1 finely chopped bell pepper
1 egg (I used 1 TBLS milled flax seed with 3 TBLS water in place of the egg)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
3-4 large new potatoes, cut in 1" chunks
3/4 cup water
olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
Mix all ingredients except water and oil in a mixing bowl (it works best to use your hands to thoroughly incorporate all ingredients). Roll into 1-inch meatballs and place in hot skillet coated with olive oil. Over medium-high heat, brown meatballs on all sides. Lower heat to low and slide meatballs to the sides of the pan, making a place in the middle of your skillet for the potatoes. Place potatoes in the middle of the skillet and add the water. Sprinkle potatoes with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

This is delicious just by itself but I add a garden salad, steamed broccoli or fresh green beans to round out the meal. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Live.Love.Eat said...

This recipe looks great and you sure sound very busy. Wow!!!! Good luck with all your creations!!

Blog Archive